UNFCCC documents relevant for REDD+
For ease of reference, the key decisions by the Conference of the Parties (COP) relevant for reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation in developing countries (REDD+) have been compiled into a decision booklet on REDD+. The booklet contains all decisions adopted between COP 13 and COP 21, including the Warsaw Framework for REDD+.
Links to the individual decisions in their original format can be found on the UNFCCC website. The UNFCCC website further contains links to other relevant UNFCCC documents related to REDD+, such as reports on workshops and expert meetings, technical papers and miscellaneous documents with submissions of views from Parties.
Addressing the drivers of deforestation and forest degradation
The Conference of the Parties,
Recalling decisions 2/CP.13, 1/CP.16 and 2/CP.17,
Noting the complexity of the problem, different national circumstances and the multiple drivers of deforestation and forest degradation,
Also noting that livelihoods may be dependent on activities related to drivers of deforestation and forest degradation and that addressing these drivers may have an economic cost and implications for domestic resources,
1. Reaffirms the importance of addressing drivers of deforestation and forest degradation in the context of the development and implementation of national strategies and action plans by developing country Parties, as referred to in decision 1/CP.16, paragraphs 72 and 76;
2. Recognizes that drivers of deforestation and forest degradation have many causes, and that actions to address these drivers are unique to countries’ national circumstances, capacities and capabilities;
3. Encourages Parties, organizations and the private sector to take action to reduce the drivers of deforestation and forest degradation;
4. Also encourages all Parties, relevant organizations, and the private sector and other stakeholders, to continue their work to address drivers of deforestation and forest degradation and to share the results of their work on this matter, including via the web platform on the UNFCCC website;1
5. Further encourages developing country Parties to take note of the information from ongoing and existing work on addressing the drivers of deforestation and forest degradation by developing country Parties and relevant organizations and stakeholders.
10th plenary meeting
22 November 2013
* This decision forms part of the Warsaw Framework for REDD-plus. For more information, see document FCCC/CP/2013/10, paragraph 44.